service between Galveston and Port Bolivar was officially established
in 1929 by a private company. After a short period, the two ferries
were sold to Galveston County. Again after about a year of operation,
Galveston County petitioned the state to take over the service.
The ferries were sold to the state in 1930, but it wasn't until
1934, when the State of Texas began running the ferries on a
schedule. The service proved so popular, that a 25¢ toll was
charged until 1949. Since then the ferries have run toll-free.
Image by Grogan Photo Co.,
Image from Curt
The old Galveston-Bolivar Ferry
Drive down Seawall to Ferry Road, turn left. If you don't have
a destination in Bolivar to go, we suggest driving past the
long line of cars and parking at the ferry landing, walking
aboard and enjoying the free boat ride without worrying about
the seagulls on the back of the boat, and watch for dolphins,
pelicans and other wildlife.
Image courtesy of Jake Angelo
For a schedule, go to the Texas Department of Transportation
website for the ferry by clicking here.
2005 by IslandofGalveston.Com Inc.
Last update for this page on
April 3, 2005